Monday, 6 April 2009

I've got a bit of catching up to do. There's been a national holiday in China today (tomb-sweeping day), so I've just got back from a weekend away in Nanjing. That's the city that used to be the capital of China, before it moved to Beijing. It's also the city that suffered a huge massacre at the hands of the Japanese during the 2nd World War. I know all about that now after visiting their massacre museum. Here are a few highlights from the trip (will put the rest of the pics on facebook):

Shanghai station. I asked everyone to smile, but they felt more comfortable with a threatening glare


A train man spinning all the seats around, to go back to Shanghai. It means no one ever has to travel backwards.


     My dinner. It was a traditional 9 course Nanjung banquet. Still not sure what anthing was, but half of it was lovely.

Me trying to throw a wish ribbon onto a plastic, gold painted tree. Harder than it looks.

Dead ducks


Karaoke. We got our own disco strobe lights and stage. 


...and our own bow-tied personal shopper in the karaoke store.


Wishes and messages inscribed on wooden tablets, hanging in the Buddhist temple

Emperor's mausoleum (one of them from the Jung Dynasty) 
and friends from work jumping


Stunning sculpture outside the Nanjing Memorial Museum

More food. Chinese hot-pot - you get to cook your meat in spicy soup.


Finishing off the trip with a massage - the special garments were provided.

That's it for now. Past my bedtime. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and cover off that taxi colour-coding. (Plus, i've found out there's a taxi star system you might be interested in, mum.)

5 comments:

  1. yey! beat you all to comment first!
    I hope you eat one of the cute dead ducks.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhhmmm in my haste to type fast and get to comment first i made a typo :(
    ATE not eat

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps looks like you were getting a facial with that meal
    (1,2 + 3)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the personal shopper - can you send me one home I'd never have to go to Brent Cross again

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could, but I'm afraid you do have to go shopping. You'd just never have to carry a basket again. They're terribly charming though.

    ReplyDelete