Thursday, 2 April 2009

Translated


A little thing that made me smile. I was in a Coke meeting yesterday and we started talking about Chinese translations - apparently Coca Cola, when translated into Chinese means, "delicious and amused" (but it still sounds like Coca Cola). If that makes sense. It's something to do with the way Chinese is written and the symbols. Don't ask me any more on this. Apparently it happens a lot with brands.

Here are a couple more:

Mc Donald 麦当劳:Wheat as labor
Pizza Hut必胜客:must win guest

(These were courtesy of my friend, Celia.) On the topic of Celia - I think it's safe to say that we've broken the barrier. We may even go for a cycling picnic one weekend. Here's us having lunch together:


And here's Penni (she's coming to London to do my job next week, so be nice):


Later this afternoon, I'm going to talk about the Shanghai taxi colour-coding system. Bet you can't wait.


5 comments:

  1. I saw you had no comments on this blog which looked a bit sad so I would like to say that I for one am looking forward to the Shanghai taxi colour -coding system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray - the mum has got into online commenting - how exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was quite exciting, am I now a blogger or a bloggee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. who's the guy with the red, white and blue hat? he looks like fun.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum, I think that makes you a blogee - but I'm not sure. Paul?
    Sarah - his name could be Chris, but I can't be sure.

    ReplyDelete