Tuesday, 12 May 2009

One year on

Today is the one year anniversary of the Wenchuan earthquake. The coverage out here is pretty much as you'd expect - a service for the victims, acclamations of how brilliantly the rebuilding of the city is going etc. But no mention of any controversies surrounding the school building. It was a slightly different story when I turned on CNN. Apparently Chinese officials are only letting 'approved' press into the area, and are overseeing all interviews. To be honest, I'm not sure who's the more credible source - Chinese media or CNN. Either way, it's a very sad and poignant day here.

I don't think they had a national minute silence - maybe it's a Western thing. But instead people have quietly lit candles at their desks. 


2 comments:

  1. are you a reporter or something...anyway just randomly dropping by blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm reporting on my experiences in China, so I suppose I am. Yes.

    ReplyDelete